1 March 1984

Commanding Officer, USS ELLIOT (DD-967)
Director, Naval Historical Center, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, DC 20374
Subj: Annual Command History for 1983 (OPNAV Report 5750-1)
Ref: (a) OPNAVINST 5750.12C

1. As required by reference (a), the following report of significant events for USS ELLIOT (DD-967) during calendar year 1983 is submitted.

2. 1983 was a year of remarkable developments for ELLIOT as she prepared for and then completed her third Western Pacific deployment. The year proved to be very demanding. ELLIOT took part in many exercises designed to demonstrate readiness for operations away from home port. Later during deployment, each crewmember was able to put into practice the skills, which had been honed to perfection during pre-deployments preparations.

3. Significant events during the period January - December 1983 were:

a. The first quarter of 1983 was a time for checking off the items required before deployment. ELLIOT hit the decks running on 5 January and did not receive a breather until mid-April when she left for operations in the Western Pacific.

(1) Early January 1983, ELLIOT was at sea conducting Engineering casualty control drills. Three weeks underway was scheduled to exercise ELLIOT engineers in the proper methods of controlling casualties to the propulsion plant. This substantially enhanced our preparations for the upcoming Operational Propulsion Plant Examination.

(2) In late January ELLIOT scored well above fleet average in her maintenance and material management (3M) inspection. Especially noteworthy accomplishments during the inspection were the 100% confidence factors achieved by the Operations, Engineering and Supply departments.

(3) On 7-8 February the Supply department received a Supply Management Inspection with all functional areas evaluated as either excellent or outstanding.

(4) Meanwhile ELLIOT's combat systems personnel began a week long Combat Systems Readiness Trial coupled with a Shipboard Explosive Safety Inspection. Combat Systems and Operations department demonstrated the operations of all weapons, communications, radar, sonar and navigation systems.

(5) ELLIOT participated in a major exercise, COMPTUEX 83-1 in late February. The task group was commanded by Captain Donald D. Clark, Commander, Destroyer Squadron TWENTY FIVE embarked in USS COCHRANE. Other participants were USS BADGER, USS CALLAGHAN, USS MEYERKORD, USS JOHN A. MOORE, USNS KAWISHIWI and verious assets from VP, HS, HSL squadrons. During this exercise ELLIOT participated in anti-submarine, anti-surface and anti-air warfare exercises and completed an additional step in becoming a fully trained warship ready for deployment.

(6) The operational propulsion plant examination which took place on 22-24 February provided ELLIOT engineers a challenging opportunity to display their expertise in combined drills, exercises and tests. ELLIOT attained a satisfactory score and several of her engineers stood out as extrememly professional.

(7) ELLIOT participated in another major at sea exercise in early March, READIEX 83-3. With Commander Destroyer Quadron TWENTY FIVE again embarked, ELLIOT operated with the BLUE forces. Participating ships were: USS COCHRANE, USS BROOKE, USS CALLAGHAN, USS BADGER, USS BAGLEY, USS JOHN A. MOORE, USS MEYERKORD, and assets from various VP, HS, HSL squadrons. This was ELLIOT's final exercise before deployment and her professional organization was commended by Commander, Destroyer Squadron TWENTY FIVE.

(8) The following week on 15-16 March, Commander, Destroyer Squadron SEVENTEEN, our parent ISIC, commanded by CAPT Robert C. Powers gave ELLIOT her cclic Command Inspection. This consisted of a thorough inspection of the ship and crew. The ship was rated excellent overall.

b. ELLIOT departed San Diego, California on 13 April 1983 in company with USS BROOKE. Her transit to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in the initial leg of the Western Pacific deployment was uneventful. ELLIOT made a brief stop in Pearl Harbor on 20-23 April and embarked CAPT Donald D. Clark, Commander, Destroyer Squadron TWENTY FIVE and his staff.

c. Following a brief stop in Hawaii, ELLIOT conducted a missile shoot against a drone target at the Pacific Missile Range facility on 24 April 1983. ELLIOT then proceeded to the Philippines to participate in a major combined amphibious exercise with the Philippine armed forces. The exercise, BALIKATAN/TANGENT FLASH was conducted from 3-13 May. ELLIOT's participation started on 7 May with her embarked operational commander assuming screen commander of the task group conducting an opposed underway replenishment with the USNS NAVASOTA. The exercise was conducted off the coast of Dingalan Bay, east of Luzon, the Philippines' largest island. ELLIOT was part of the ASW screening force protecting the landing zone from enemy submarine intrusion. ELLIOT also provided constructive naval gunfire support.

(1) On 16 May, ELLIOT headed north, around the tip of Luzon, for Naval Gunfire Support Qualification at the Leon Creek Range. ELLIOT achieved a near perfect score. Later the same day, operation COPE THUNDER (a joint exercise with Air Force units) was underway with ELLIOT and USS BROOKE as the target platform. COPE THUNDER, provided an excellent opportunity to sharpen anti-air warfare skills.

(2) On 17 May, ELLIOT moored in Subic Bay for a five day rest, relaxation and upkeep. After two days in port however, ELLIOT was unexpectedly tasked to get underway to escort the COARL SRA battle group through the South China Sea. The ready response drew praise from the task force and fleet commanders. ELLIOT returned to Subic Bay on 21 May after successful escort duty where she completed the remainder of the inport period.

(3) After departing Subic Bay, ELLIOT transited to Chinhae, Korea. The port visit in Chinhae from 29-31 May was used for inport drills and conferences with the Korean Navy, with subsequent participation in exercise TAE KWON DO, a challenging U.S. Navy and Korean exercise. The anti-air, anti-submarinne and anti-surface exercises were conducted smartly.

(4) ELLIOT moored in Pusan, Korea, and the crew was afforded the chance to rest, relax and see the sights around Korea from 2 through 5 June. ELLIOT also provided Project Handclasp materials to Dong Song Won Orphanage and Day cCare Center on June 5.

(5) From 8-13 June, ELLIOT participated in exercise VALIANT BLITZ conducted off the coast of Okinawa. Like BALIKATAN/TANGENT FLASH, it was a mohor amphibious exercise. ELLIOT provided naval gunfire support for the marine landing forces and screening actions against hostile forces opposing the transport ships.

(6) Following this exercise, ELLIOT spent her first extended upkeep period at Sasebo, Japan from 16-25 June.

(7) Independence Day weekend was spent in Subic Bay from 30 June - 5 July, Preparations for BATTLE WEEK, another major Seventh Fleet exercise were in full swing. On 3 July, ELLIOT and USS BROOKE volunteers distributed Project Handclasp materials to the Jireh Home Orphanage in Zambales and did considerable painting of orphanage buildings.

(8) Exercise BATTLE WEEK kicked off on 5 July with the ELLIOT and USS BROOKE tasked with the defense of Subic Bay. This included providing anti-air and anti-submarine defense. ELLIOT was underway on 6 July for the second phase of the exercise and successfully transited a mined channel cleared by mine sweeping helicopters. The final phase of the exercise emphasized over-the-horizon targeting and anti-submarine warfare techniques. On 7 July, ELLIOT qualified as a naval gunfire support ship for the second time in the deployment. ELLIOT entered Subic Bay on 12 July to embark the prospective Commanding Officer, Commander Stephen R. Farrow, USN. ELLIOT then proceeded to Phattay Beach, Thailand for a port visit and change of command ceremony where Commander Farrow relieved the incumbent Commander Douglas M. Norton on 18 July 1983.

(9) COBRA GOLD, a combined U.S. and Royal Thai Navy amphibious exercise was conducted from 28 -30 June in the Gulf of Thailand. ELLIOT and the Thai Navy destroyers provided anti-submarine protection for the amphibious task force.

(10) Following COBRA GOLD, ELLIOT, in company with USNS PASSUMPSIC, sailed for Guam. At about mid-day, 31 July, a small boat was spotted by the forward lookout. A total of 68 Vietnamese refugees were subsequently rescued and were turned over to state officials in Subic Bay. ELLIOT was later awarded the Humanitarian Service Medal for her rescue operation.

(11) While enroute to Guam ELLIOT encountered Typhoon Abby. After a few course and speed changes and some rough weather Abby was left behind. ELLIOT arrived in Guam 8 August for a brief stop for fuel and provisions before joining elements of the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force at sea.

(12) ELLIOT effected the rendezvous with the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Forces on 11 August and started ASWEX 83-2J. This anti-submarine warfare exercise was designed to test the mutual support capability of both forces in an ASW environment. Two days into the exercise, tropical storm "Ben" formed close to the task force position. With the intensity of storm Ben building up, the exercise was cancelled and all ships were directed to proceed towards Japan. Typhoon "Abby" was still intensifying in approximately the same area and unfortunately for ELLIOT these typhoons were joined by tropical storm "Carmen". The transit to Japan was characterized by 25 -30 foot seas and very little smooth sailing. Although topside was caked with salt and running rust had started, there was no significant damage.

(13) After a month at sea, ELLIOT was back again in Sasebo, Japan for an extended upkeep period from 18 August - 3 September. Topside maintenance, engineering repair and softball tournaments were the order of the day for the next three weeks.

(14) On 3 September, ELLIOT hosted her Operational Commander's Change of Command Ceremony. Captain Jerry M. Blesch, USN, relieved Captain Donald D. Clark, USN, as Commander, Destroyer Squadron TWENTY FIVE. Principal guest speaker was Captain Robert C. Powers, Commander, Destroyer Squadron SEVENTEEN.

(15) The downing of the Korean Airlines Flight 007 in the Sea of Japan forced ELLIOT underway on four hours notice to proceed to the crash site off the coast of Sakhalin Island. Preparations to get underway were being made as the squadron commanders were relieving on the flight deck. ELLIOT steamed at 32 knots for over 1,000 miles to arrive first on station. ELLIOT performed surveillance duty with the U.S. Coast Guard cutter MUNROE, USS BADGER and various Japanese coast guard and fishing vessels. Early in the search efforts, ELLIOT embarked Commander, Task Force SEVEN FIVE, Rear Admiral Cockell and part of his staff. ELLIOT was relieved on station by USS STERETT on 14 September, then departed for Chinhae, Korea.

(16) ELLIOT remained in Chinhae for two days, 16 -17 September and conducted inport drills and attended various conferences with the Korean Navy in preparation for a second TAE KWON DO exercise. TAE KWON DO lasted through 21 September. Various units of the Korean Navy participated in this anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare exercise.

(17) September 22 saw ELLIOT again inport Sasebo, Japan in preparation for ANNUALEX, the largest Japanese naval exercise. ANNUALEX involved numerous ships of both forces protecting sea lanes around the Japanese islands. Once again ELLIOT proved she can work well with other forces in providing support in various warfare areas. As a result, ELLIOT received some very complimentary messages from Japanese commanders.

(18) ANNUALEX was followed by a brief two-day stop at Yokosuka, Japan from 6 -7 October for an exercise debrief and a mch needed crew rest and recreation.

(19) ELLIOT departed Yokosuka on an independent transit for a port visit to Hong Kong from 11- 14 October. While enroute, a surfaced FOXTROT submarine was encountered just off the southern coast of Taiwan. ELLIOT shadowed the FOXTROT submarine until relieved on station by a P-3 aircraft. ELLIOT hen proceeded to Hong Kong for the much awaited port visit. ELLIOT moored to HMS TAMAR to give all hands an opportunity to enjoy the city of "neon lights". Unfortunately, Typhoon "Joe" forced ELLIOT underway where she rode the storm moored to a buoy. ELLIOT returned a day later to HMS TAMAR for the conclusion of the visit.

(20) ELLIOT arrived in Subic Bay on 16 October for a short upkeep period. At the same time, ELLIOT embarked a special Marine unit from the 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion to support an exercise planned for the second BATTLE WEEK. On 22 October, ELLIOT got underway in support of this tasking and provided naval gunfire support for marine spotters and the insertion and extraction of Marine reconnaissance units in simulated hostile waters.

(21) Shortly thereafter, ELLIOT started the final leg of her Western Pacific deployment. ELLIOT participated in BATTLEWEEK 84-1 on 27 October with the USS BADGER as a member of the ORANGE force. The special Marine reconnaissance unit embarked was used to provide suspected BLUE land forces locations and movements.

(22) ELLIOT then proceeded to Guam for a brief stop and continued the transit to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii on 3 November. Fifty-two tigers were embarked at Pearl Harbor on 11 November for the six day transit to San Diego. The transit included two unscheduled refuelings of the USS BROOKE by ELLIOT.

d. ELLIOT arrived in San Diego 18 November and commenced a post-deployment upkeep period. At the same time, preparations for the restricted availability scheduled for early 1984 were also in full gear.

e. The year ended with ELLIOT playing host to the Colombian ship GLORIA, during the first week of December. GLORIA is a three masted training ship used by Colombian cadets.

f. ELLIOT spent the remainder of December in a holiday upkeep period.